Life Was

Can I start this blog with another Celtics life lesson? Is that ok? I'm sorry, dear Readers, to pull basketball into my blog again, but... here we go...

The start of this season was already going to be crazy, what with having traded basically our entire team this Summer. However, in the first 5 and a half minutes of our first game a few weeks ago, it got even crazier. Hayward, the big free agent we signed this Summer, landed quite awkwardly on his foot, and... well... it was gross. I was in class watching, and wanted to yell but couldn't, so just had to suffer with that image in my head for the next few hours.

A broken foot.

It could have been worse. It could have been career ending. This has a long road of recovery ahead, having to sit out this season, and leave our team hanging... but it could have been worse.

This wasn't how the year was supposed to start. It was supposed to start with Horford and IT, ripping it up on the court, while I yelled at Jerebko for shooting when he shouldn't, and Bradley for not being better at defense. That's how I envisioned the year starting when last season ended. I thought I knew what was coming, and instead, I was given a brand new team to fall in love with, and an injury that would reshape our team and out future immensely....

2017 started with me in a car, picking up a guy at an airport, and listening to his tales of Boston, DC, and NYC at Christmas. I was jealous and mystified why I hadn't explored any of those places yet. As I sat in the car, listening to him tell me how he was a "new man", I decided then and there that this year was going to be a year of adventuring. This was going to be a year of saying yes more without thinking about all the what if's. This was going to be a year of spontaneity, and fun. Throw caution to the wind and live life! This year, I was going to stop waiting, and start doing. So my life hadn't ended up how it was "supposed" to. So I hadn't met the man of my dreams yet. So things were different than I'd imagined they would be at the age of 27. So I wasn't in my dream job. So I wasn't a mom yet. So I was still living in Utah. So my metaphorical foot had been broken and I wasn't progressing how I wanted. So WHAT? Life never goes as planned! I have written so much about that this past year, and really for the past few years, and it never ceases to catch me off guard by how surprised I am when things don't work out how I had planned. Here's what I spent my 27th year doing, despite the unexpected challenges that have been thrown my way:

I TRAVELED

Readers, if you don't know my love of traveling by now, I'm going to be worried about my writing abilities. Traveling is literally one of my favorite things to do, and I try to take advantage as often as I can to go on adventures. Here's a quick recap of this last years travels:

Some friends and I took a quick trip to Disneyland back in February. I haven't been since I was in high school, and it was such a blast!




A few weeks later I presented at a national conference in Vegas with my boss on a project we published last year to help determine the demands of classes by looking at shopping cart and waitlisting data. It was so exciting, especially since I was super sick, and was trying to wear my hair parted in the middle (which literally only lasted a 
week...). 


I went to Summer League in Salt Lake and in Vegas this Summer with a bunch of basketball buddies, which was such a great experience! Re-read that blog to remind you how much fun I had.


I took a spontaneous trip to NYC to go catch a few shows and tour the town with two of my favorite people, which was literally the highlight of my year. 


I DEVELOPED NEW HOBBIES

I fell in love with the Celtics this past year, and immersed myself in the NBA world, which never fails to disappoint. I have had so much fun learning about all the players, and making connections with the gospel. I have also come to realize that the Lord wants me to develop other hobbies besides just the temple and reading my scriptures. Of course I knew that already; hello, I played the trumpet for 10 years of my life, and was GOOD. I know what it is to commit to a hobby. It was more that I've beat myself up so much over the years for not being good enough; for not having gotten married yet; for not being in the best shape; for struggling with anxiety; for basically not being perfect. I took all those imperfections and tried to compensate by taking extra institute classes, and attending the temple twice a week, and listening to conference talks everyday... none of those are bad, but in excess, they were hurting me. As silly as it sounds, basketball has helped bring balance into my life, and allowed me to not dwell on the imperfections I have. It has reminded me how passionate I get about things that excite me, and allowed me to learn and expand my mind. I'm still attending the temple weekly, and taking institute, and listening to conference talks, but I am finding time to do other things too.

I SPENT TIME WITH FAMILY

My newest little nephew, Sam, was born, and we had a giant family reunion back in NM, which I loved!



My little sister, Darcie, got home from her mission, and my family is now all back together! It was so great having a sibling on a mission, though. I have loved watching my different siblings serve, and get to have these great experiences for themselves!



I VISITED NEW TEMPLES

Of course I visited a bunch of new temples - Newport Beach, Monticello, Star Valley, and Manhattan. Thanks  for always being willing to go on adventures with me to the temple!



I couldn't mention the temple without talking about what I've learned in the past six months since I quit working in the temple. I have spent the past few months really trying to understand why it was time to leave. I loved serving in the temple, and would do it again in a heartbeat if I felt it was time to work there again, but I've also come to realize how unbalanced my life was. I have felt the prompting many times that I needed to find more balance - life isn't just meant to be lived in the temple. There is so much service that can be accomplished outside of the temple. I needed to learn that, and it was hard and unbelievably painful, but I have loved growing closer to the Lord in my quest for understanding His plan for me. We are not forgotten. Sometimes lessons are learned quickly, and sometimes it takes years. There's nothing wrong with that; what matters is that we are progressing, and growing closer to the Lord.

I EXPANDED MY MIND

I'm currently taking a class to become certified in data analysis, and am LOVING it. When did I get to be such a nerd, Readers? When did data excite me so much??? I blame the history nerd in me. This is part of why I loved my major - I love getting to take facts and make connections and research and analyze... it's second nature to me, and I'm loving being back in school, minus the fact that my roommates are all in bed by the time I get home most nights.

This past year, I have made so many friends, and gone on so many adventures, and watched so many basketball games, and cried so many times in the temple, and planned so many parties, and eaten so much popcorn, and laughed so much, and cried so hard, and ...... I mean, this last year was crazy! Readers, my life has been a constant crazy, random mess of broken legs and new players and different adventures than I ever planned. I was listening to this song by David Archuleta this morning and couldn't help but think how I have grown to learn this lesson too:


Readers. 27 was amazing. And hard. It was the best of both worlds. I have learned so much about myself, as always, and had so much fun! I already have a bunch of fun trips planned for the next year, and am making some big life changes soon, so beware - 28 is going to be full of surprises. 28 is going to be hard. 28 is going to be life changing. How do I know this? Because it always is. Right as I get into the groove of things, 5 minutes goes by and we all of a sudden have a new challenge; one that is devastating and heart breaking, but that also allows growth in other ways that might not have been possible. 27, thanks for the memories. 28 - get ready. Your adventure is going to be grand. 

Comments

Popular Posts