Blah Blah Blah

"BYU Provo may be the Church's school, but BYU-Idaho is the Lord's school." Everyone who attended BYU-Idaho has heard this. We were always competing against the oter BYU's, trying to prove our superiority, blah blah blah. For me, I loved attending college there. I hated the cold, but loved the people and the spirit. It was the perfect place for me. However, I graduated, and moved on to the "real" world, as people call the world outside of our parents houses and college life. I moved to Salt Lake City and got a job at the Natural History Museum. Now, for those of you who do not know, The Natural History Museum of Utah is part of the University of Utah. Yep. I am an employee of the University of Utah. I recently went and got my Ucard, which is the ID card University of Utah students and employees carry. As I went in to get it I felt troubled. Here's the thing. I spent all these years hearing the competition between BYU-Idaho and BYU Provo, and it never occurred to me that BYU Provo actually has a REAL competitor- the University of Utah.... and now I'm not sure how I feel about working for them, ya know? I mean, I know I'm not part of the competition there, but I feel like having gone to BYU- Idaho makes me need to be more loyal to BYU than the U. Why? Why do I care about silly little competitions? I know. But I really do. And then I started thinking of another thing.

The University of Utah is located in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City is the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The Church owns the BYU's..... soo.... are you catching on? I just don't get why there is a huge rivalry between the two universities. And I don't know where I fall into all of this. I feel like I betrayed someone when I got that Ucard, but I don't know who. Can someone please explain why this rivalry exists, and where BYU-Idaho alumni fall in on it? I just don't want to have rocks thrown at me for choosing the wrong side.... Ok, thanks :)

Comments

Popular Posts