Skepticism Is Easy—Anyone Can Do It

Two years. It's been two years since I sat in Bishop Keddington's office and answered the temple recommend questions, as I prepared to go through the temple for the first time.

Two years.

Two years ago, I was out shopping for my temple clothes for the first time; feeling anxious about taking this step without my husband; wondering if I should wait, so my whole family could be there. That was two years ago this month.

As I sat in first my bishopric members office yesterday, and then with a member of the stake presidency, answering questions that would allow me to enter my safe haven, the temple, I felt so much joy, being able to honestly say yes to all the questions I needed to, and no to the ones that required a no. 

I can't begin to tell you the joy and peace I felt as I honestly answered those questions, aware that it had been two years since I had last had to sit in front of someone else and answer these questions to enter my home; my sanctuary, the temple. Of course I routinely ask myself these questions as I am going about my life. I have to take inventory of my testimony more than just every two years. But, it's different when someone is asking you, knowing that your entrance into the temple depends on your honest answer. Do I truly believe that Jesus Christ lives? That the church leaders, both local and general, are leading this church through divine revelation? Am I an honest tithe payer? Do I keep the word of wisdom? Am I obeying the law of chastity? Do I honor the covenants I made in the temple, including wearing my garments at all times? 

As I was being asked these questions, I felt so grateful to live in a day and age where we have so many temples around us. I love getting to visit all of them. I love getting to work in the temple. I've been so blessed these past few years to learn so much about myself and about my Heavenly Father and about my divine potential because of the plan that Heavenly Father has given us. 

I also felt sad to be saying good-bye to my old temple recommend. It was weird to think of all the things two years ago Cassandra had not experienced yet, as she signed her name on that recommend; As she prepared to take the biggest step in her life; As she eagerly turned to the Lord, willing to submit to His timeline, and His plan for her. How much faith past Cassandra had, to take these steps, and to change her life forever. I am so grateful for her, and the courage she has had to live up to her covenants, even when the world is constantly trying to pull her down. 

I love the temple. I know.... I've written about it a lot.... I mean, a lot. I know. I get it. But, my life is so chaotic. The world is becoming more and more messy, and the truths of God are being attacked at full force. It is easy to turn to the worlds ways and justify that everyone else is doing it. The temple has provided that escape from the world; those moments of peace; the eternal perspective to not get me down, and to keep me firm in the faith.

I love this talk President Uchtdorf gave last October during General Conference, called "Be Not Afraid, Only Believe." In it, he shared an experience that I'd like to share here:

"Recently I was surprised and saddened to hear of an Aaronic Priesthood bearer who seemed to take pride in the fact that he had distanced himself from God. He said, “If God reveals Himself to me, then I will believe. Until then, I will find the truth relying on my own understanding and intellect to light the way before me.”

I don’t know this young man’s heart, but I couldn’t help but feel terribly sorry for him. How easily he rejected the gifts the Lord was offering him. This young man had unplugged the spotlight and then seemed self-satisfied in his clever observation that there was no light.

Unfortunately, this seems to be quite a popular attitude today. If we can put the burden of proof on God, we think we can excuse ourselves from taking God’s commandments seriously and from taking responsibility for our relationship with our Heavenly Father.

Brethren, let me be clear: there is nothing noble or impressive about being cynical. Skepticism is easy—anyone can do it. It is the faithful life that requires moral strength, dedication, and courage. Those who hold fast to faith are far more impressive than those who give in to doubt when mysterious questions or concerns arise."

I love that. It is easy to give up. The gospel, though wonderful, requires work! It's not an easy - poof, I believe, I'm saved! It requires a life long enduring to the end, even when those around you fail to live up to their covenants. Even when those around you mock you, or look down on your for believing. Nothing that is worth it has ever been easy. I love my job because it challenges me. I get so bored in jobs where I'm expected to do the same thing every day, year after year.... being stagnant does not allow us to become the person we should be! We have to constantly be progressing, and that requires us to push ourselves; to uphold those covenants we promised to keep. To be examples to those around us - especially as the Church comes under attack more and more. We have to stay strong! 

Attending the temple regularly, both as a worker and as a patron has allowed me to push aside the taunts of the world and follow Christ more confidently, because I know He has already won. He has already saved us all from eternal death. He has already taken upon himself our sins, so we can repent and return to become just like God. He has already paid the price for our eternal freedom. "The Lord is my light; then why should I fear?" 

Comments

Popular Posts