"Oh, Gilbert- you've spoiled everything"

I am an avid user of my work calendar. I put everything on there. If I'm ever not at work and people ask what my schedule is like, I tell them they'll have to wait until I check out my work calendar, because that has all my deadlines and activities on it. I was going through this weeks calendar and noticed some things I placed on there from a few months ago, and found this little gem:

"Update List- send a list of all people in Astra to department heads and assure they are still working there. Also, assure that the security is correct. Maybe do this at a later time.

Also, ps, at the start of the new year, remember how far you've come, and look at goals from last year. Re-work them, and keep moving forward. ALSO, if you haven’t yet, be sure to make a schedule of dinners for the months. That’s a really good goal. :)"

Wow. Past Cassandra is so wise. She's always saying the smartest things. No, seriously. I sometimes freak out and worry that I will forget something, or think to remind myself of a project due in a few weeks, and I'll go forward in my calendar to place a reminder, and low and behold, Past Cassandra has already beat me to the punch and placed a reminder there. It always makes my day to see how smart my past self has been. I love Past Cassandra.

So, it's the end of the year, and everyone is making goals, because that is what one does at the beginning of the year. This past year I made a bunch of goals and posted them on here. At the time, they seemed pretty basic, and seemed to be what I would be focusing my year on. However, like many of you, these goals didn't work out the way I thought they would, and it didn't bother me in the slightest. My year, though seemingly straight forward at the time, went in very different directions then I had pictured when I first started. For one, I got promoted at work. My parents moved to Idaho. I got released from my calling and placed into Stake and Ward activities. My priorities changed. I still followed the goals in a way, but I changed those goals throughout the year. A few months into the year I decided I wanted to get more involved in  music, because I really missed doing musical things. I signed up for Institute Choir, as well as started participating in ward choir.

I made a goal to attend the temple every week this year- like the second week of the year. Yep, missed that new years goal day, but I still made the goal, and was really successful with it. So many blessings have come into my life because of that.

I started reading more of the conference talks, to help better my scripture study. I have loved studying the prophets words. I also started sharing more of my beliefs online, trying to be a better member missionary.

I gave up soda- too easy. I started going to the gym on a regular basis- still not easy.

With my promotion at work I discovered that I am actually more technical then I thought. I have learned how to maintain a website, trouble shoot, train people, create QR codes... I mean, wow. I never thought I would care this much about technology.

I grew a lot more confident in myself.

I know I had a list written down this last year of things I wanted to accomplish, or do, but I accomplished so many things outside of those goals.  I am so glad I did not just limit myself to those goals that I had written down a year ago. I'm so glad I was continually making new goals. I'm sure many of you can look at this past year and think this same thing. I think too many times we are too hard on ourselves- "Oh, I didn't accomplish the 10 things on my list this last year, so this must have been a miserable year, and I'm glad it's over, and hopefully I can accomplish something this year, let me write 10 things down again and hope for the best." That just gets to me. Why do people judge their lives off of the new years goals they make? I feel like I changed so much this last year. I really don't see how I could look back at this year and think -wow, glad that year is over, hope this next year is better. I feel like that's what I always hear. People are always expecting their lives to magically get better because it's a new week, or a new month, or a new year, or they've just started a new job, or just gotten married, or, or, or.... the list goes on. We as a society have placed our happiness on things happening in our lives. We expect the world to make us happy, and when it doesn't, we think, well when the next big change happens, life will be better. So, do I judge this past year off of what I did, or off of how successful I was with the goals I wrote on the first day of the year? I don't know about the rest of you, but I am definitely changing the way I view my goals in my life. I am so glad I didn't wait until the beginning of the year to come up with new goals in my life. I am so glad I am constantly reflecting on my life, and constantly making new goals. That's really what I wanted to say. We should all look at life as one big year, and every day as a new beginning. We should always be trying to make the most of our lives, not just at the beginning of the year. Finally, we should always remember that we are doing much better than we think we are. Don't look back at all the failures in your life- acknowledge all the great things you've accomplished.

This year I am making the goal to keep making goals. To keep moving forward. To keep becoming a better person. To keep progressing in life. No list of things to be done. I just want to be a better person.

"God uses your faith to mold your character. Character is woven patiently from threads of doctrine, principle, and obedience.... Your character will be the yardstick that God will use to determine how well you have used your mortal life." ~ Elder Richard G. Scott


Comments

Popular Posts