Mourn with those that Mourn

I had the opportunity to attend a funeral today. It was one of the hardest funeral's I've been to, and I've had my fair share of funerals. My friend, Matt, lost his mother, sister, and girlfriend in a boating accident about a week ago. It has been an emotional week, to say the least. I didn't know them, but I got to know them in the memories that were shared today. It really got me thinking about my family, and the memories I have with them. I wanted to share those memories with them, because we never know what may come, and I don't want to waste a minute not letting them know how much I love them.

Daddy: When I think of you, I think of the Book of Mormon. You have such a passion for the gospel, and you know it's true. You have taught me to love the gospel as you do, and to study the scriptures daily. You taught me the importance of an education. When you were going to law school I never remember you not being there. I have so many fun memories from the time you were in law school. You always make sure that we stop by any temple we are driving by. You had us memorize all the Prophets and Apostles when we were children, and now I can name all of them, and details about them. You always supported me and encouraged me when it came to my musical abilities, even when it meant late practices, extra fees, and my second trumpet. Thank you for marrying mom in the temple. Best decision ever.

Mumsy: You read us a book before bed every night, and sang us to sleep when we were kids. I miss that. I still read myself to sleep, and as everyone knows, I sing my heart out all the time. One of my favorite memories of you, and let me tell you, there are many, but one of my favorites is when you ran that red light with all of us kids in the car... hahahaha. Oh my gosh. That was the funniest thing ever, and especially now, because every time we go through that light we think of you, and how you ran that red light! One of my other absolute favorite memories is when you quit working and stayed home with us when I was a junior in high school. It was the last year that I could really be home, because the next year I was working, so I was really never home. I loved getting home at 3, because from 3 to 3:30 I had you all to myself. Everyone else was in school, and for me this was the best part of the day, because coming from a family of nine people, it is hard to find time to talk to your mom just by yourself, and I loved it. A whole half hour with my mom everyday. Thank you for that. And for all the times I call home now and talk your ear off. You are such a good listener. Also, you forgot me at marching band practice a couple of times. Yep. You're the best sewer I know; I loved all the outfits you made us.

Lydia: Wow, it was weird writing Lydia, so I'll just call you Sister, since that's what I usually call you. My favorite memories of you are when we were in college together, and you cooked for me all the time. I miss that. :) You spoiled me. I also miss our late nights when we were younger and shared a room and you would read out loud to me from some book Ms. Davey would assign.... oh gosh... those were the days. And, of course I have to share how we shared a room and we would be fighting and I would run to my room and you would run after me and stare at me, and I would say go away, and you would say, it's my room too. I love that you would follow me, instead of leaving me alone, because that's what sisters do. They fight, and then they become best friends again. Oh, also, you stole my wedding colors. Still haven't forgotten. Oh, thanks for letting me be your maid of honor, though, and for marrying Douglas in the temple, and having my two nephews. I just love all of them.

Dallin-o: Do you remember when we were in high school together, and your friends helped tutor me in Trig? Yeah, I don't know how you got the math genes... they obviously missed me. I also love that I've seen all the extended editions of the Lord of the Rings, as well as all the extra features, commentary, background... I mean, seriously, I know more about those movies than I would like to admit. I was sooo proud of you for serving a mission, although I will always be a little upset that you didn't open the mission call in front of me. Sad sauce. Also, every time I watch the new Les Mis movie I think of you, cuz Russell Crowe and you have like the same voice. He's pretty much my favorite singer in the whole movie.

Richard: I remember when you were in middle school and you came home and  you came straight to me and told me you had gotten expelled for a couple days, and wondered how mom and dad would react. In that moment, I knew I had a friend in you. Lydia and Dallin had each other, and Emi and Darc had each other, and Hyrum is pretty much shared with all,  but you and I were bonded in that moment when you came to me first. It was pretty exciting. Umm, also, the fact that you could read any book faster than anyone I know always amazed me. I loved that you could watch a movie and quote it right after watching it. How does your brain process things that quickly?! No idea. Oh and that time you answered the phone and said "Grandpa." Remember?!?!!?

Emi: Em, I love how we can quote movies back and forth to each other. One of my favorite memories is when you gave me a small gift for Christmas because you were mad at me. Hahahahaha. Also, how we came up with all those quotes, like "No yelling in the house, and no throwing things unless they're babies, wrapped in blankets!" Umm, also, I love how every family photo we have you are angry. Yep. We can always count on you being upset. It's really funny. And a great tradition. Your kindness to Hyrum is one of my favorite things about you. You are always soo willing to serve and do anything he asks. I know we tease you about it, but it's actually one of your best qualities. I think we're just jealous we're not as willing to serve as you. Also, when you cut your lip open that was pretty much the most traumatizing moment of my life. Remember how you always lost your false teeth? Hahaha. Oh gosh.

Darc: My favorite times with you were when we shared a room. Remember? I had the rule that I had to be able to hear my music. That was it. Also, remember how you said how you were so hyper cuz you didn't have dessert? Yep. That was hilarious. Do you remember how we'd always play pretend, and there was always a lost baby involved? Yeah. Weird. I can't remember if it was you or Emi, but I remember one day I was singing my band music and one of you just jumped in and finished it. It was funny. I realized I sang my music way too much.

Hyrum: I can't even begin to start with all my favorite memories of you. Our hand games- teaching you how to high five, knuckles, extreme! I love you, peace... I love doing that with you! You are the best little brother ever. You're my favorite person ever. Hands down. I love being with you, because you never judge me. You just love everyone, no matter what. You are always smiling, even if that smile is sometimes a little mischievous. One of my favorite memories of you is when you and I shared a room my senior year of high school and every night you would wake up around 2 in the morning and come crawl into bed with me. I always made you crawl on the other side of me because I didn't want to push you off the bed, and you would spend the night pushing me off the bed, and pulling my hair, and I would tell you to stop pulling my hair, and you would smile at me in your sleep! Ridiculous! I just love talking to you. When you learned to say  "I love you" I was the happiest person in the world.

As a whole, my favorite memories as a family were all the road trips we took. Someone was always upset at one point, but we would have so much fun singing and reading and watching for deer.... I just loved road trips. Family Dinner every night was a highlight, especially because we all got to say one thing about our day, and we could get so sidetracked! I loved family scripture study at 5:30 in the morning. Gosh, I don't know how we did that, but we did. Even when we were half asleep, we would read the scriptures. Family prayer every night? I miss that. I love knowing I have people praying for me every night. I miss family home evening, when we didn't know what we were going to do, but we would have it. One of my favorite things to do when we're all together  is to take family pictures together. I love all the pictures we have! Our Christmas traditions are some of my favorite- especially the secret meeting. Remember all the secret notes we would write?

There are so many more memories. If I don't stop now I will keep going forever. I just wanted to let you all know I love you. I love that quote "Come what may and love it." I think my family has taken that to heart and has tried to live it the best they can. I just love all of you so much. I would not be the woman I am today without you. Thank you for making this mortal life a great adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts