I Have Learned

This is an anniversary post. It's a reflection on my life. It's a check-up on where I am in my life, and how happy I am. It's my two year anniversary post of being the Assistant (to the) Registrar. Where did the time go?

I have accomplished so much in the past two years, work wise. I've published so many projects, rewritten so many programs, helped establish new policies, created easier navigation for students, tested delivered functionality, and become an expert at our data warehouse. I've created course materials, traveled all over for work, coded hundreds of requisites, presented at a national conference, met some powerful people, and gained a small understanding of the IT world. By all means, I am quite accomplished.

Some of my favorite people in my office!

But, those are just the outer accomplishments that make my LinkedIn profile look good. The true accomplishments have been on the inside. The past two years have shown me more of who I am and what type of person I want to become. They have taught me to appreciate the pain, so as to truly love the joy. They have taught me that I am stronger than I think I am. They have shown me my imperfections, and pushed me to my limits to accept them and even build off of them. They have brought so much peace and joy and happiness, in the form of friends, roommates, work experiences, and of course, Christ.

I have learned so much in the past two years about the systems we use, yes, but most importantly, I have learned so much about myself. I have gained so much confidence in the past two years, have lost 25 pounds, changed my make-up, grew out my hair, bought new clothes, moved into new environments, gained new roommates, traveled all over America, gave up chocolate, started dating again, became a temple ordinance worker, found the courage to try new things, and grew closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ.

I have learned that I love learning. I have learned that I have high anxiety. I have learned that I am a stressful person. I have learned that I like to be in control. I have learned that I work best surrounded by people, and not in an office all by myself. I have learned that my coworkers make or break the work place. I have learned that falling for a guy is easier when you're not trying. I have learned I have a lot of potential. I have learned that I don't want to get a Master's Degree just because everyone says I need one to advance in my career. I have learned that hard work is not always rewarded; often it is overlooked, and becomes expected, rather than appreciated. I have learned that I do not work well in a messy work place. I have learned that I can fall to the bottom and work my way to the top again. I have learned to be more aware of who I call a friend. I have learned to trust people again. I have learned to be the main character of my story. 

Part of me is sitting here thinking, "gosh, how have I let two years go by without doing this or that?", and the other part of me is thinking, "gosh, you changed this much in just two years? Wow! I can't wait to see what another two years accomplishes!". I feel like life has just picked up so much in the past year. I have felt an urgency recently to take advantage of my single time. I have discovered so much about myself, I want to do everything to see what else I can be good at!

I was going for a serious "Office" picture, and this is what we got...

Basically, taking inventory of my life brings a satisfied breath of air. I am exactly where I thought I would be - progressing, finding joy in the journey, making amazing friends, devoting my life to serving the Lord, attending the temple weekly, trying new things, finding the courage to be who I am, working hard at my job, traveling, laughing, graduating from Institute, staying up late reading, watching re-runs of "The Office," having a bright hope for my future. This is the person I've wanted to become, regardless of the fact that I'm not married, I don't have any kids, I haven't been to Europe, I live in Utah, and I work in IT. Regardless of those situations that were not planned, I have become someone I did plan - someone I look at with respect. Someone who I'm proud to be associated with. Someone brave enough to take on the next task. Someone who honors the covenants she has made. Someone I call me.

So, happy two year anniversary, Cassandra! You're doing great!


Comments

Popular Posts