You Need to Experience the Middle to Truly Enjoy the End
You know when you're watching a movie with friends and someone wants to know what happens and keeps asking what's going to happen, until finally someone gives them a little piece of information, just to quiet them? Yeah, that happened the other day. I was watching a movie with some good friends, and someone, who shall remain nameless, but they know who they are, kept asking what was going to happen, until we finally gave a little piece of information, just to quiet this person down. It was really funny.
I had one of those moments yesterday in the temple. As mentioned in my last few blogs, I've been trying to figure out the "what's next" part of my life, and I've been struggling. My mind has been latching on to every little idea that pops in, and me, being me, runs with it! I over think and over analyze each "could be" situation, and try to weigh the negatives with the positives of each decision. It has been hard, and frustrating, and I have not gotten clear direction anywhere. I've been thinking of law school again, which always distorts my judgment, I feel like. I get so focused on a career and money that I seem to block the rest of my life out. So, as I'm sitting in the temple yesterday, presenting yet another plan to the Lord - I wonder if He gets tired of hearing all of my crazy life plans. Elder Holland once said "If you want to make the Lord laugh, tell Him your plans." I feel like I must keep the Lord laughing, if that is to be the truth. Anyway, as I'm sitting there, explaining to the Lord my very quickly thought out plan, I was stopped. I felt like the Lord said, Cassandra, stop trying to ask me how the movie ends! You need to experience the middle to truly enjoy the end, to truly grow - to even want the ending to occur.
What would Harry Potter have been like without books 2-6? Could you imagine if we met 11 year-old Harry, and in the next instance he was 17 years old, trying to lead a battle against Voldemort? I mean, how exciting of a story would that have been? No, we needed Sirius Black, we needed Remus, we even needed Wormtail; we needed a basilisk, and quidditch matches, and a world cup, and a tournament, and all of the people he met along the way. Here I am, just finishing up book 1 of my life, and instead of enjoying the journey, and the people I've met, I am trying to jump to book 7! I want the end, instead of the excitement and life lessons that make book 7 so amazing. No, really, think about it - would we really love Harry Potter so much if we hadn't had all those experiences? The good, the bad, and unexpected, the crazy, the fun, the loving, the awful; who would Harry have become without all those moments? Didn't we need all those people, adventures, and sacrifices along the way, to make the decision to fight in the end worth it? *Sorry, I just felt like Harry Potter would be the most relatable. I was going to use Anne of Green Gables, as she is my literature soul mate, but I wasn't sure as many people would be familiar with her story*
What I'm trying to say, is that, as I was sitting there, yesterday, trying to figure out my life with another laugh worthy plan, the Lord, in His wisdom, told me to calm down, find joy in the journey now, and enjoy living books 2-6!
I hope I can sit back, relax, and remember that this isn't a race! It's a journey! I'm going to try my hardest to enjoy it.
I had one of those moments yesterday in the temple. As mentioned in my last few blogs, I've been trying to figure out the "what's next" part of my life, and I've been struggling. My mind has been latching on to every little idea that pops in, and me, being me, runs with it! I over think and over analyze each "could be" situation, and try to weigh the negatives with the positives of each decision. It has been hard, and frustrating, and I have not gotten clear direction anywhere. I've been thinking of law school again, which always distorts my judgment, I feel like. I get so focused on a career and money that I seem to block the rest of my life out. So, as I'm sitting in the temple yesterday, presenting yet another plan to the Lord - I wonder if He gets tired of hearing all of my crazy life plans. Elder Holland once said "If you want to make the Lord laugh, tell Him your plans." I feel like I must keep the Lord laughing, if that is to be the truth. Anyway, as I'm sitting there, explaining to the Lord my very quickly thought out plan, I was stopped. I felt like the Lord said, Cassandra, stop trying to ask me how the movie ends! You need to experience the middle to truly enjoy the end, to truly grow - to even want the ending to occur.
What would Harry Potter have been like without books 2-6? Could you imagine if we met 11 year-old Harry, and in the next instance he was 17 years old, trying to lead a battle against Voldemort? I mean, how exciting of a story would that have been? No, we needed Sirius Black, we needed Remus, we even needed Wormtail; we needed a basilisk, and quidditch matches, and a world cup, and a tournament, and all of the people he met along the way. Here I am, just finishing up book 1 of my life, and instead of enjoying the journey, and the people I've met, I am trying to jump to book 7! I want the end, instead of the excitement and life lessons that make book 7 so amazing. No, really, think about it - would we really love Harry Potter so much if we hadn't had all those experiences? The good, the bad, and unexpected, the crazy, the fun, the loving, the awful; who would Harry have become without all those moments? Didn't we need all those people, adventures, and sacrifices along the way, to make the decision to fight in the end worth it? *Sorry, I just felt like Harry Potter would be the most relatable. I was going to use Anne of Green Gables, as she is my literature soul mate, but I wasn't sure as many people would be familiar with her story*
What I'm trying to say, is that, as I was sitting there, yesterday, trying to figure out my life with another laugh worthy plan, the Lord, in His wisdom, told me to calm down, find joy in the journey now, and enjoy living books 2-6!
I hope I can sit back, relax, and remember that this isn't a race! It's a journey! I'm going to try my hardest to enjoy it.


Comments
Post a Comment